Three Kid Circus : Roshambo, Baby

Saturday, September 25, 2004

Roshambo, Baby

Having a fondness for the little things helps, when you are not an adrenaline junkie. Take me, for example - on my list of Things To Do Before I Die, there is not one mention of leaping from a plane or swimming in shark infested waters. No climbing Everest.

There was an article in our local paper, about a local man who swam the English Channel. It was a longtime goal, with many years spent training, and at least one aborted attempt. He made it recently, and it was really great. I'm happy for him, and all those folks who feel the need to challenge themselves physically who go out there and get it done. Bravo.

Me, though, I've got my sights set on less strenuous events. For example: the sport of Roshambo. Shut UP! It is too a sport. In fact, I've been teaching my children the basics this week. A local winery is named Roshambo, and in addition to good wine, they are major forces in the more intense aspects of the sport.

Teaching the chitlins has been a blast. The 5 1/2 year old caught on right off the bat. She's good like that. She does occasionally try to trump me with an ears open, mouth closed and we did end up in a heated thumb-wrestling match over one paper/rock result. But she's savvy. She gets it. She puts on her Roshambo face and fakes me out.

The 4 year old son, well, he gets that you enter the smackdown with one of the three, but he doesn't always remember which trumps which. He's been known to use both hands, causing chaos. He also changes his weapon of choice if you should win. Thinks on his feet. Not a purist, but we're working on that.

The 22 month old is the best, though. She *always* kicks down with Rock, and she always slugs you at the end of a match. Not very sportsman like, but an effective deterrent should some fool parent think about *always* producing Paper.

Just wait, there will be an article about me someday, holding my Roshambo Pro-Am trophy and flashing a triumphant Scissor.