Three Kid Circus : That 2 AM Jazz

Saturday, August 21, 2004

That 2 AM Jazz

I've been up all night. Again. My youngest cried and grunted and waved her butt in the air for 9 straight hours. I'm thinking she's got some unresolved poo issues. Not only that, but every time I would get her settled down, my son would hunt us down and try to climb in my lap. This would trigger another butt wiggling screaming jag from the baby. Around and around and around we go...

UPDATE 8-21: Sometimes when shit happens, it's a good thing. This is one of those times. Whew!

Each of my kids has a lullaby that seems to be 'their' song. My oldest got "La La Lu," My son got "Castle of Dromore," and my youngest got "I Will." I've been singing these songs, interspersed with many others since moments after they were born. We're a bunch of singing fools in this family.

So I found myself at 2 o'clock in the morning, holding an arching, screeching baby, carelessly singing a medley of lullabies. And what I realized is: I don't remember the words, and I don't know if I ever did. I basically scat sing with a few legit lyrics thrown in willy-nilly. Hah!

My favorite scat lullaby has to be "Nightingale's Lullaby" from the Celtic Twilight something or other CD.

I looked up the real lyrics this morning, and had a huge laugh. I was missing over 75% of the actual words, and had embellished nicely, for going on 3 years. I present the real lyrics below. I'm not even going to admit what I usually sing.


CASTLE OF DROMORE

The October winds lament around,the castle of Dromore
Yet peace is in her lofty halls, my loving treasure store
Though autumn leaves may droop and die, a bud of spring are you
Sing hushabye loo, low loo, low lan
Hushabye loo, low loo
Dread spirits all of black water, Clan Owen's wild banshee
Bring no ill wind to him nor us, my helpless babe and me
And Holy Mary pitying us to Heaven for grace doth sue
Sing hushabye loo, low loo, low lan
Hushabye loo, low loo
Take time to thrive, my ray of hope, in the garden of Dromore
Take heed, young eaglet, till thy wings are feathered fit to soar
A little rest and then the world is full of work to do
A little rest and then the world is full of work to do
Sing hushabye loo, low loo, low lanHushabye loo, low loo

La La Lu

La la lu
La la lu
Oh, my little star sweeper
I'll sweep the stardust for you
La la lu
La la lu
Little soft fluffy sleeper
Here comes a pink cloud for you
La la lu
La la lu
Little wandering angel
Fold up your wings, close your eyes
La la lu
La la lu
La la lu
And may love be your keeper
La la lu
La la lu
La la lu
Spoken:
There now, little star sweeper
Dream On

I Will

Who knows how long I've loved you?
You know I love you still
Will I wait a lonely lifetime?
If you want me to, I will
For (and) if I ever saw you
I didn't catch your name
But it never really mattered
I will always feel the same
Love you forever and forever
Love you with all my heart
Love you whenever we're together
Love you when we're apart
And when at last I find you
Your song will fill the air
Sing it loud so I can hear you
Make it easy to be near you
For (and) the things you do endear you to me
You know I will
I will
Love you forever and forever
Love you with all my heart
Love you whenever we're together
Love you when we're apart
And when at last I find you
Your song will fill the air
Sing it loud so I can hear you
Make it easy to be near you
For (and) the things you do endear you to me
Oh, you know I will

Nightingale's Lullaby- Julie Last

The sun's going down in the deep blue sea
So close your eyes, go to sleep
I will wrap all the milk stars around you
So dream and your dreams will come true.

You can ride past the wind as a champion mare
Over the woods, lighter than air
You can fly to the moon as a great white swan
And back you will be before dawn.

A nightingale's lullaby bends in the wind
Messing your hair, drinks the tears from your pillow
So sleep now, sweet dreams, my love

I may be older but I am not wise
I'm still a child's grown up disguise
I never can tell you what you want to know
You will find out as you go.

Now the sun's disappeared in the deep blue sea
Eyes are closed, sleep so deep
The milk stars are wrapped all around you
So dream, and your dreams will come true.