Three Kid Circus : It was all just a dream

Monday, August 02, 2004

It was all just a dream

Last night, I woke up with my pulse racing, drenched in sweat. As my heart returned to normal and my body relaxed slowly, I had to laugh about my nightmare.

It was a rainy evening, at home with the kids. My husband was working late. I got everyone dinner, and was settling down to read a book to the kids when my husband arrived home. He said "Did you go Trick-or-Treating at the Mall?" I was struck dumb, and looked at him blankly. "It's Halloween, and it's raining. You didn't take the kids around in the neighborhood in the rain, did you?"

I dreamed I forgot about Halloween. *Shriek*

This comes on the heels of purchasing adorable but pricy costumes off of eBay for my yahoos. Another pre-kid vow was to make unique, special costumes for my children for Halloween each year. Oh, right. I can't even find a free minute to sew on a button. I'm SO not going to be able to whip out a costume. Unless they want to be a ghost or a hobo. I am not sure a hobo is politically correct.

I tried the costumes on the kids last night, and they loved them. They are all going to be dinosaurs. At least, that's the plan now. I'm sure once my kindergartener gets into school, she'll want to be a pretty princess or something. But for now, she still likes growling and escaping from 'sharp tooth.' As I was zipping them up, my daughter looks me up and down and says, "Mommy, what are you going to be?"

"I haven't really thought about it," I replied. "What do you think?"

"You're a perfect witch," said my helpful child.

Yeah, great. I'll pretend she means a cool Harry Potter witch, but I think she meant wart on the nose, snaggle toothed wicked witch, since she hasn't read HP yet. I'm afraid to ask.