Three Kid Circus : But Will It Be Enough For Gold?

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

But Will It Be Enough For Gold?

Our morning started out with a bang. Literally. My youngest child has mastered the art of crib rail pommel horse.

We've become accustomed to the sounds of rhythmic slapping noises coming from her room in the early hours. She's usually content to drag her sippy cup up and down the side bars of her crib, like a wee convict with a tin cup. Th-wap wap wap wap wap wap wap. Th-wap wap wap wap wap wap. Then she'll clutch a pair of bars, rattling them mercilessly. The final event involves smooshing her face into the space between bars.

The noises today involved grunting. I lay in bed, pretending I didn't hear what was going on, thinking that the hubs would be on diaper duty. Frantic grappling noises came next, followed by a huge "Aaaaaaaaargh!" That's Mama's baby all right.

Silence. And then "Bam!" Then silence. Then a very tiny "Ta-Daaaaa!"

I swung my legs out of bed as my son trotted to my bedside. "Mommy! I heard a kersplosion!"

As I reached the doorway, my 20 month old came trotting around the corner, arms outstretched. She announced "I down! I fine! Ta-Daaaaaa!"

I wonder if she stuck the landing?